I am

 

I read

 

Previous Posts

 

Archives

 

Powered by Blogger

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

Sunday, April 24, 2005

On Roofs

Worship today

We're singing, "Come Lord Jesus, Come. Holy Spirit, Come."

My eyes drift up toward the ceiling and thoughts that I couldn't put into words flit through my mind.

What would happen if he DID come. We sing it, but do we really mean it? Do we REALLY want it?

And there we are, huddled inside the church, protected from the elements by that lovely expanse of ceiling and roof... but is it a barrier that we've built to keep him out? We have a huge high ceiling, with lights and ceiling fans... the illusion of space. Like being in one of those planetarium places. They turn out the lights, and the huge, domed ceiling starts to glow with an image of the night sky. Constellations, the Milky Way... all mapped out for you.

Have we done that to some extent by building churches? When we close ourselves in, do we keep God out? Do we make our sanctuaries light and spacious to create the illusion of God's light and omnipresence?

How different it is to stand outside, and gaze up at the northern lights... Aurora Borealis...

I grew up in British Columbia, surrounded by trees and mountains. What a picture of the strength of God. Of his power. His solidity and faithfulness.

Now I live in Saskatchewan.

Give me the prairies every time.

To stand surrounded by SPACE. To BREATHE. To feel like you could inhale eternity if you just open your lungs enough.

I can worship outside. I can feel God. I fall in love with him again when there is nothing between him and me but space. When the pillars of my house of worship are the trunks of trees, and the choir loft is their branches, and the chorus is sung by chickadees and robins.

I think these guys had it right...

Up On The Roof
The Drifters

(Written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King)

When this old world starts getting me down
And people are just too much for me to face
I climb way up to the top of the stairs
And all my cares just drift right into space
On the roof, it's peaceful as can be
And there the world below can't bother me
Let me tell you now

When I come home feelin' tired and beat
I go up where the air is fresh and sweet (up on the roof)
I get away from the hustling crowd
And all that rat-race noise down in the street (up on the roof)
On the roof, the only place I know
Where you just have to wish to make it so
Let's go up on the roof (up on the roof)

At night the stars put on a show for free
And, darling, you can share it all with me

I keep a-tellin' you

Right smack dab in the middle of town
I've found a paradise that's trouble proof (up on the roof)
And if this world starts getting you down
There's room enough for two
Up on the roof (up on the roof)


I bet Jesus would be hangin out "up on the roof".

Just breathing.

posted by Lauralea | 4:07 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger Linea said...

I think I will stick to the front porch or the back deck - or the open space on the riverbank. But my roof? No way I'm going up there on my own. The Holy Spirit would have to get me up there for sure.

But I know what you mean. Sometimes I look up into the sky and think - my eyes can't "see" really very far but what I am gazing up into just goes on and on forever pretty much. And God is bigger than that distance too. So I stand in awe of his greatness most often when I am outside too.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh yaaaaa...I sat outside yesterday reading on the front step. A bird started screeching overhead, a gull, a beautiful white gull soaring through a sea of deep blue and framed all around that majestic spectacle, were shades of green from our cedars and pines. The colors, the contrasts, well, that was what I would really call a good bit of heaven. That gift will stay with me a very long while....and God is bigger and even more beautiful than that picture he gave me. Hope your Birthday gifts were just as lovely.

I enjoyed your thoughts.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I bet Jesus would be up on the roof, too.

We were at Little Red park yesterday for our first (of many, I hope!) picnic this year. God was there, too. We were by a pond with what sounded like ducks but was really about 100 frogs (mating season, I guess). It was "way cool". Mom caught one, of course, and we all were captivated by the sight and sound. Yup, I can relate to being outdoors in nature to REALLY see God.

On another note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, girl!

Melody

12:30 PM  
Blogger Toni Ertl said...

Glad to see you're blogging, Lauralea :-)


"Have we done that to some extent by building churches? When we close ourselves in, do we keep God out? Do we make our sanctuaries light and spacious to create the illusion of God's light and omnipresence?"

A bit.

I tend to see people as roofing over their hearts, surrounding them with thick walls and strong doors - the buildings may only echo what's happened inside.

The more I learn of those that sought God with all their hearts, the more I see the surroundings would just fade away. This doesn't mean that the building is unimportant, but it should re-focus our thinking.

I am also extremely skeptical of those buildings raised 'to the glory of God' - if you know the type I mean.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

feel free to come on in and check it out anytime. :)

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 
        Drycold Designed ©2005 Lauralea Friesen