I am

 

I read

 

Previous Posts

 

Archives

 

Powered by Blogger

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

Friday, June 24, 2005

A Farewell A Dress

Finished.

Finished.

Finished.

Can you tell I'm relieved that the grad dress is done?

Husband asked How many times have you made that thing?

At least three.

But it's done.

The skirt is not the way she envisioned it.

But the Back is.

I'm encouraging myself that her strongest vision was for this particular style of back.

So, if nothing else, we nailed the back.

She will look beautiful.

I understand how she feels, at her lowest moments, though....

Seems like all her friends are getting their hair done, and their nails done, and will show up in $400 dresses.

On many levels it makes you feel less elegant to think of doing your own hair, and to have your own nails, and don't even think about a "homemade" dress!

She'll not be the only one in a custom designed dress, though. And I doubt any of the $400 dresses will look any better than hers.

I could remind her that at a fair rate for labour, her dress has probably become a dress worth in excess of $400. Probably closer to $500 or $600. (I don't think it took me any less than 50 hours to do it.)

Somewhere, probably on my husband's website, there WILL be a picture of this beautiful girl in that gorgeous dress. It's a sophisticated, svelte style in a highly complimentary shade of dark blue chiffon. Did I already say "Beautiful"?

And so the first of my chicks flexes her wings and gets ready to take a dive.

Out of the nest.

Into the great blue yonder.

Fly high, my love.

Fly far.

Fly home again, often.

posted by Lauralea | 9:00 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger LJE said...

i grew up always having home made dresses for every occasion (just last night, my mom asked me if i needed her to make me a dress for my sister's wedding!), and even though there were small differences in how i'd envisioned a dress and how it actually turned out, it was always neat to be able to say "my mom made it" because most people's mental images of homemade dresses are much shoddier than the actual product. In fact, so many store bought clothing items are put together quite poorly, with crooked hems, etc. due to their (typically) mass production means of sewing, etc. With homemade dresses, every hem is stitched and checked, every thread is clipped....far superior.

So congrats on finishing. (and even a bit early!!!) And know that the efforts will be appreciated.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Her dress was absolutely lovely so she will be a picture in it, for sure! Super job "super-mom"! That particular shade of blue against her fair skin and blonde hair - perfect. I was telling my grand-daughter, Miss B. about it when she was over which then inspired me to "bring out my grad dress" and have her try it on....which I wore 40 years ago, this very week! She's 11 and she was doing some sucking in to get it done up....I felt totally underdeveloped at 17....we then went on to my wedding dress and we had fun. But I remember 40 years ago asking God to make me fatter! Well, that prayer was one that could have been left unsaid. I suppose I could pray to be thin again but at this point in life, it seems like a waste of time. hee hee

8:24 PM  
Blogger Dixie Vandersluys said...

My mom made my grad dress too. I think I still like IT better than my wedding dress (which she did not make). So get ready 5 years from now to rework a dress about TEN times!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Lauralea said...

At one moment, I looked Johanna in the eye, and with a quavering voice asked if she had been thinking about having me make her wedding dress. I may have said something like... You don't want me to make your wedding dress, right?! She said no. She plans to wear mine. (Which I made.... 20 years ago already!) I hope she doesn't grow any taller, because adding ruffles or something to make it long enough would be a HUGE pain! I think without the crinolin it might work.

I also, at one point, shook my finger in Thomas' direction and declared, I'm NOT making YOUR grad dress. He's good with that!

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 
        Drycold Designed ©2005 Lauralea Friesen